[j-nsp] vrrp groups

Terry Baranski tbaranski at mail.com
Mon Sep 28 19:51:35 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 19:10:59, Harry Reynolds wrote:

> Note that while you can assign the same group number to multiple ifls
> on the same IFD best practice is not to as this can cause some issues
> with learning bridges as noted below, each group shares the same v-mac.

I have to say -- this is a recommendation from Juniper that I've never
understood.  We've used group 1 exclusively for years (with hundreds of
VLANs per interface in some cases) without issue.  Using separate group IDs
seems overly complex and unnecessary.  As long as your switches aren't
bleeding VLANs together there's no conceivable harm. (And if they do, having
the same group ID ensures you'll discover the problem quickly. :-)

To clarify for the original poster: there's no *hard limit* which will
prevent you from configuring 300 VRRP groups (with non-unique group IDs) on
one physical interface. (Even though the documentation said otherwise up
until 9.6.)  I would expect things to generally be okay with default timers
but I've never tried group counts in the hundreds with anything smaller than
an m40e.

-Terry