[j-nsp] EX Routing Throughput

Felix Schueren felix.schueren at hosteurope.de
Wed Sep 30 02:29:49 EDT 2009

Paul,

> Does anyone have any real-world feedback on the layer3 performance of EX3200
> and/or EX4200 switches?  I've searched around and cannot find out the
> capabilities (pps/Gbps) but new to the Juniper world ;)

we've been running a couple of 2-member virtual chassis in production
for some time now, at ~2-4 Gbit/s, no performance problems.

> Our needs are reasonable simple I think - considering putting in 10 EX4200
> in a virtual chassis configuration using the Virtual Chassis Cabling.  This
> allows us ample copper ports on the front and we can use the 4X1GE or 2X10GE
> ports for our fiber needs.  Total layer3 throughput would probably be about
> 1Gb/s average and peak at 2Gb/s.  OSPF, some small ACL, and IPv6 would be
> used.

that should be no problem - although ipv6 support is still very fresh on
the box, but you should use the latest 9.5 for many reasons anyway.

How many IPs were you planning on terminating with the box? ARP scaling
can be a problem, you will definitively want to raise the default arp
timers.

Kind regards,

Felix

--
Felix Schüren
Head of Network

Host Europe GmbH - http://www.hosteurope.de
Welserstraße 14 - 51149 Köln - Germany
Telefon: 0800 467 8387 - Fax: +49 180 5 66 3233 (*)
HRB 28495 Amtsgericht Köln - USt-IdNr.: DE187370678
Geschäftsführer:
Uwe Braun - Alex Collins - Mark Joseph - Patrick Pulvermüller

(*) 0,14 EUR/Min. aus dem dt. Festnetz, Mobilfunkpreise ggf. abweichend