[j-nsp] J Series - BGP Peering Router?

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Mon Apr 26 12:16:55 EDT 2010

Hey Paul,

For what you want to do, you would be fine with a J-series. BGP instances means the number of BGP processes you would run inside additional routing-instances (ie. instance-type virtual-router, etc). If you are basically doing all your routing from inet.0, then you have essentially one BGP instance with multiple peers. I don't think the BGP peers on J-series is hard coded but rather the value that systest has qualified.

As per Richard's comments, he is absolutely correct; you don't want to do millions of paths on J-series; but for a small number of routes you are working with, the box would work fine. As for performance, you would also be fine to push 200Mbps IMIX on the router.

I suspect you may also want to disable the flow mode (aka, running in packet mode) if you run a newer software release on the J's.

Kind regards,
Truman