[j-nsp] IS-IS database leaking across virtual routers?

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Mon Aug 16 14:27:10 EDT 2010

Just to put a little closure on this topic from two months ago for the
archives:   The issue I was having was NOT due to IS-IS database leaking
across VRFs.   I had some routing policy problems due to configuration
errors.

However, the fact that Juniper will only assign one IS-IS hostname per
router regardless of the number of VRFs is a convenient red herring.
Juniper is essentially overwriting the TLV 137 information within the
router database everytime a TLV 137 LSP is received from a neighbor on a
different VRF.  This is very annoying.  I did compare Juniper's IS-IS VRF
implementation with Cisco's, and Cisco does not have this problem.  Cisco
will assign the same IS-IS hostname across multiple VRFs without causing
any confusion.

Perhaps Juniper can learn something from their primary competitor :-)

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)
Williamsburg VA 23187