[j-nsp] Tunnel hardware redundancy

Chris Evans chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 20:12:10 EDT 2010

Looking for input from folks as I am not able to find an answer via google..

I have a question about tunnel interfaces. My question is mainly how do you
have failover/backup hardware within a platform? Prime example is on an MX
or M series. When one creates a tunnel interface you have to specify the
FPC/PIC tied to hardware (gr-5/1/0 for example). If this hardware fails
there isn't a way for it to failover. As I can specify the
source/destination IP within the tunnel interface that piece isn't tied to
hardware. Is there a way to create a redundancy group?

I come from a Cisco world and this is something I'm challenged with. Tunnel
interfaces on Cisco devices are completely virtual and isn't tied to any
specific piece of hardware, thus modules can fail and the tunnel still
functions.

Thanks!

Chris