[j-nsp] One or more stream blocked

Tarique A. Nalkhande - BMC t.nalkhande.bmc at mobily.com.sa
Wed Aug 18 06:35:28 EDT 2010

Ross,

As aware, in the MX DPC there is a chip called the IChip (this is where all the data forwarding take place). Earlier there were some cases where IChip was dropping
the packets. To recover the chip from the 'wedge' state Juniper implemented a self-healing mechanism as a response to PR 228781 (and similar). Basically it
flushes the stuck stream and clears the problem. The I-Chip wedge detection mechanism can be sensitive under some circumstances. For example, if we have a situation where traffic flows in and not out (due to split horizon check inside the chip), it is taken to be 'wedge' condition and the stream is getting flushed (and we experience traffic loss). In this particular case there is traffic flowing into Ichip block, but it is all dropped entirely due to split-horizon check (i.e. for a legitimate reason). Ichip self healing code is getting confused and thinking chip is wedges and taking the corrective action (which is not required in this case). Juniper addressed this issue using an Internal PR#496620), this PR has the fix in : 10.0 R3, 10.1R2,10.2R1 etc...

Thanks & Regards
Tarique Abbas Nalkhande