[j-nsp] Multicast PIM RP state

Chris Evans chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 17:26:58 EDT 2010

Hopefully someone can answer this..

I come from Cisco shop primarily and am comparing behaviors among Cisco and
Juniper..

My question is thus.. I have multicast setup with Juniper and it is working,
however I am having trouble verifying state when there is no subscribers to
the group.. Basically my scenario is that I have a sender generating
multicast traffic, but no receiver.

On Cisco, the RP maintains a *,G and S,G state for the group entries even
when they are pruned. What I'm finding with Juniper devices is when the
Juniper device is an RP is that when it Prunes it it totally removes any
state of the multicast entry. As it removes any state I have no way of
troubleshooting anything. Commands such as 'show pim join' and 'show
multicast route' show nothing.

The Juniper device is not the first hop device in my topology..

My topology:
 Sender > L3 switch > Juniper Router (also RP) > Juniper Router > L3 switch