[j-nsp] New 16port 10G Card and new MPC with 4x10G MIC Cards - coexistance of old DPCs and new Cards in same chassis -- looking for experience feedback

Prochaska Gerhard gerhard.prochaska at a1telekom.at
Fri Aug 27 07:45:42 EDT 2010

Hi Massimo !

Thx for your advice.

We have two reaseons to look at the new MPC Hardware. First we do have the problem, that our Peering MX-960 node slots are nearly full and we need th 16port 10G Card to replace old 4x10G DPCs.
Here we have a seconde usecase where we think about using the new MPCs with 4x10G MIC.

Our main goal is to use all ports of the card. Thats why we are at a "proof of concept" LAB in amsterdam at the Juniper site from 2nd to 3rd of September.
We want to see if we can break the 120G Limitation by using 2ports per pfe locally without switching over the backplane.

In this case the QoS Topic is not relevant as the ISP Node uses iBGP, eBGP and OSPF. So our main interest is in V6 support.

The other usecase has to do with MPLS P2MP-LSP for Video distribution. We built a Network for one of our customers for video distribution and used the MX-480 and MX-960 nodes as juniper seemed to support "make before break" and the ability to add and remove leaves to the P2MP-LSP Tree without packet loss.

I guess with binary MCAST replication you mean the "binary tree" juniper is talking about when it comes to P2MP-LSPs (by the way its CCC we use).
Right now we have packet loss in certain situations (depending on network topology) when a leaf is added or removed from an existing P2MP-LSP Tree. Juniper suggests to solve the problem by putting a node with MPC Cards only in the network  core to get rid of the problem that a binary tree is always completly recalculated when a leaf is added or removed.

So if i understand you right you say that by putting a DPC into a MPC only Node, the MPC Cards notice the DPC and treat P2MP-LSP in the "old fashion" using the binary tree again.

did i understand this correctly ?

greetings
Gerhard

Wir haben neue Telefonnummern und E-Mail Adressen. Bitte aktualisieren Sie den Kontakt.

Dipl.-Ing. Gerhard Prochaska
Fixed Network Planning
Core Development, Implementation & Supp

A1 Telekom Austria AG
Arsenal 22 Obj. 22 A-1030 Wien
M:   +43 664 66 25690
T:   +43 50 664 25690
F:   +43 50 664 9 25690
gerhard.prochaska at a1telekom.at<mailto:gerhard.prochaska at a1telekom.at>

www.A1TelekomAustria.at<http://www.a1telekomaustria.at/>

Firmensitz Wien FN: 280571f
Handelsgericht Wien

P Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt bevor Sie dieses E-Mail ausdrucken!