[j-nsp] New 16port 10G Card and new MPC with 4x10G MIC Cards - coexistance of old DPCs and new Cards in same chassis -- looking for experience feedback

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun Aug 29 03:12:12 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 11:00:55AM +0400, Pavel Lunin wrote:

> > * The Trio PFE is good for around 55Mpps of lookups, give or take,
> >  depending on the exact operations being performed.
>
> 55, not 65? Anyway, this is what I can't understand (maybe because of
> my not-native English). When you say 'give or take', you mean it can
> only do 55/65 for both directions or 55/65 for ethernet->backplane and
> 55/65 backwards?

55 million PACKETS/sec of lookups per PFE, no directionality to that.
Lookups are done at ingress. And 55 is what I'm told, not 65.

> If this is an LU overall limit for both direction than either I can't
> manage to convert pps to bps (65pps is about 30 Gigs for 64-byte
> packets, isn't it) or everything has is twice less performance than we
> think (not likely though).

Bandwidth is a completely different limitation, which comes from the MQ
and/or fabric limits. Technically 4 ports of 10GE would exceed the
55Mpps, 14.488Mpps * 4 = 57.952Mpps, so you wouldn't quite be able to
get line rate on small packets even with local switching.