[j-nsp] New 16port 10G Card and new MPC with 4x10G MIC Cards - coexistance of old DPCs and new Cards in same chassis -- looking for experience feedback

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Sun Aug 29 04:05:44 EDT 2010

> > > * The Trio PFE is good for around 55Mpps of lookups, give or take,
> > >  depending on the exact operations being performed.
> >
> > 55, not 65? Anyway, this is what I can't understand (maybe because of
> > my not-native English). When you say 'give or take', you mean it can
> > only do 55/65 for both directions or 55/65 for ethernet->backplane and
> > 55/65 backwards?
>
> 55 million PACKETS/sec of lookups per PFE, no directionality to that.
> Lookups are done at ingress. And 55 is what I'm told, not 65.

Thank you for this clarification.

Yeah, I understand that ingress LU performs lookup. I meant the case of
MX80. It's actually the case of local switching in MPC1 but with twice as
many interfaces. Where it's backplane->ethernet direction in MPC and LU does
not do lookups, in MX80 it's built-in-XE->MIC direction and LU must perform
lookups. Having said MQ is capable to transfer close to 70 Gigs, in case of
small packets the LU limitation comes into play much earlier (when MQ only
transfers close to 30 Gigs), doesn't it?

--
Pavel