[j-nsp] Stable Junos

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Aug 31 16:51:19 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 01:55:49AM +0800, Mark Tinka wrote:

> I wish 10.5 were coming out tomorrow, but for now, 10.2R2.11 has been
> behaving with the little we're doing. I'm tired of chasing JUNOS for
> the past 2 years, so I wouldn't mind continuing with 10.2R2.11 until
> 10.5R4 or 10.6R4 comes out (and works). Of course, that's hoping we
> don't run into anything major with 10.2R2.11 :-\.

It's like playing JUNOS Hero, you don't ever catch the dragon. :)

Personally I'd like them to support JUNOS images for a bit longer. By
the time a particular branch is actually stable enough to use without
major issues (R4) it's already EOL, which means they refuse to build
fixes for any newly discovered bugs after that. Infact for the last
several releases they've actually released R4 *AFTER* the EOL date, so
you're guaranteed that anything you find wrong in R4 will never get
fixed. This forces you to chase the next newer version of code to fix
those last few issues, where for every 1 thing they fix they break 2 new
things, then rinse and repeat forever.

The extended support branches never quite seem to line up with anything
we need either (I think they're picked solely based on what satisfies a
few large accounts with some T1600s :P). For example, the extended
support branches right now are 10.0 and 10.4. 10.0 is worthless to
anyone who needs Trio card support, 10.1 reaches end of engineering
in 2.5 months, this pretty much guarantees we'll be chasing 10.1, 10.2,
10.3, etc, in the above cycle. By the time 10.4 actually gets stable
enough to use in widespread deploys, which is at least a year from
today, where will be some other reason why we're forced into something
newer. There always is. :)