[j-nsp] Netflow / JFlow questions

Chris Evans chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 21:01:44 EDT 2010

Have a few questions for some folks who have implemented JFlow..

I have a working jflow setup with basic ipv4 and ingress collection on a m7i
with a services pic and also on a MX platform with the MS-DPC blade.

#1 - Is egress netflow supported? It appears that only ingress is supported.
#2 - Why do all examples that I can find say to use a firewall filter to
sample traffic, I have successfully used the 'set interface xx-x/x/x unit xx
family inet sample' command. This appears to be the new way of doing it.
#3 - In my lab I have a MPLS VPN setup and am trying to netflow interfaces
within the VRF. As it appears the device can only do ingress netflow I also
need to sample the mpls interface. Does anyone have an example of how to
gather netflow stats from both the vrf and mpls pe <> p interfaces?

Thanks

Chris