[j-nsp] Loop Free Alternates topology recommendations

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Fri Dec 17 15:16:37 EST 2010

I wanted to resurrect an older thread regarding the Loop Free Alternates
feature now available in Junos for OSPF and IS-IS.

http://www.mail-archive.com/juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net/msg09719.html

I am wondering if anyone has any pointers regarding what type of
topologies do not work so well and why.

I am running LFA in an environment where I know that I have multiple paths
existing to where I need it, but unfortunately, I am not getting the type
of backup coverage that I would like.

For example, certain types of square topologies do not work well for some
reason, but I am wondering if making link cost changes could rectify this
problem.

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)