[j-nsp] Cisco 7206 replacement

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Tue Dec 28 15:37:25 EST 2010

> The price gap is even more interesting.

I suppose this depends on your relationship with both companies.  Many of
the shops that have this buy cisco equipment at a 40% plus discount because
of volume, but pay list or nearly so for the Juniper equipment.

> The things that currently annoy me with Juniper are:
>
>        - JUNOS has been terrible, hopefully 2011 is a

         better year.

Agreed.  JTAC/ATAC hasn't been great either.  I'm also nervous about the
agressive push to get rid of the ScreenOS firewall platforms and replace
them with JunOS and the SRX.

>        - Strange and silly hardware restrictions that
>          inconvenience you when you least expect it, e.g.,
>          lack of Translation Tables support on the MX
>          DPC's, lack of H-QoS on the current 16-port 10Gbps
>          MPC card, the need for additional Services PIC's
>          for certain basic services (I agree that very
>          advanced services would scale best when offloaded
>          to dedicated hardware), e.t.c.

In all fairness cisco has some similar silliness, although the Juniper
version tends to be much more inconvenient and costly.

>        - No decent contender to Cisco's ASR1000 platform -
>          it currently makes no sense for us to invest in
>          the M7i/M10i boxes, and yet the M120 and MX-series
>          boxes are too large. I hope this can be rectified
>          soon.
>
> This is more of a question, but I always assumed that the ASR overlapped
somewhere between the J and M series.  The software based routers I
associated with the J-series and the larger ASR1000 platforms somewhere in
the M/MX area.  Is this inaccurate?