[j-nsp] Cisco 7206 replacement

Keith kwoody at citywest.ca
Wed Dec 29 18:03:40 EST 2010

Hi.

We have a 7206 w/NPE-G1 and looked at the ASR as a replacement after
looking at both Juniper and Cisco and getting quotes from both vendors
we decided on the MX480.

MX480 was slightly more than the ASR gear we looked at, but offered
better redundancy and higher port count. But still overall a better deal
than Cisco for our needs.

It was probably overkill for our needs all things considered but we
should not have to buy a new router for quite a while considering we got
about 5 years out of our 7206.

We did not have a need for any of the other WAN hardware so we do only
ethernet and have a mix of MM/SM and copper. With the 20 port MIC card
it meets our ethernet side quite well.

Our 7206 is maxed out with 3xGE and 1xFE port adapter it does about 1.5
gigs total of all ports at peak at about 35-40% CPU.

We will have it online in the next few weeks if all goes as planned.

Regards,
Keith