[j-nsp] Need suggestions..

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Feb 4 11:56:23 EST 2010

> We have 4 M7i's with RE-400's and 768M RAM and have never had a problem with
> taking full routes (we are at 55% memory usage right now).
>
> With all of the comments on this topic, should we be worried?

What JunOS version are you running?

This is an M7i with RE-400, a full Internet routing table,

inet.0: 314795 destinations, 629302 routes (314784 active, 0 holddown, 19 hidden)

a handfull of MPLS L3VPNs (around 3K routes here) and a few interfaces,
running JunOS 9.5R3.7. Memory usage:

Routing Engine status:
    Temperature                 33 degrees C / 91 degrees F
    CPU temperature             30 degrees C / 86 degrees F
    DRAM                       768 MB
    Memory utilization          94 percent
    Model                          RE-5.0

I'd say *any* RE-400 box with a full routing table and a recent JunOS
version is reason for worry. We have been unpleasantly surprised a
few times (boxes starting to show swap usage).

> Our units push ~200Mbit traffic, so they are nowhere near capacity CPU wise.

Packet forwarding is done in hardware on this platform, the CPU is not
involved.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no