[j-nsp] Need suggestions..

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Fri Feb 5 14:14:55 EST 2010

I wanted to add that if we want to carry Layer 2 all the way up to the 6509
and terminate the Layer 3 at the core layer and that core layer is composed
of 2 6509s for redundancy (see diagram), you are still going to need to do
VRRP.

If we move the Layer 3 termination to the Aggregation layer, we don't need
VRRP so long as you always use 4200s in a Virtual Chassis configuration.  In
this mode, we do VC-LAG (Virtual-Chassis LAG) between the two 4200 VC
Members and the access layer device.  So this is probably the best approach
since we don't have the wiggle room to do VRRP (readdressing, etc.)...

Stefan Fouant, CISSP, JNCIE-M/T
www.shortestpathfirst.net