[j-nsp] Policer burst-size-limit, can someone please explain?

Judah Scott judah.scott.iam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 16:47:29 EST 2010

Is there a document that can explain the attached code block for us?  In
case the screen shot isn't clear, I am basically just sending a single-shot
of traffic (the packets are sent over 1 second) with, or without, a baseline
constant traffic which is below the policed rate.

Questions I have are:
Does "bandwidth-limit" include Inter-frame Gap?  Does it include L2 header?
What does the "burst-size-limit" (MBS) actually do because looking at my
attached gif it doesn't seem to have any effect on bursts.  No matter what I
set the MBS to I lose packets (not shown but the results are identical for
100g MBS as the rest of the lines in the file).