[j-nsp] maxium number of rvi's on ex series?

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Fri Feb 12 20:44:51 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 07:51:53AM -0800, Dan Farrell wrote:
> Are there any hard limits that anyone knows of? We use the 3200's
> and 4200's, and on the 4200's we're literally putting on hundreds of
> rvi's (eventually a couple thousand).

I've been told that the only limitation is the FIB size, or every VLAN
(since the EX doesn't support multiple bridge domains).

In practice, if you're doing that, it implies you might have a large
L2 config.  We have hit a number of bugs related to the CPU time it
takes to commit a large L2 config.  Turns out that can spin enough to
interfere with periodic packet processing.

So - it should absolutely work.  You definitely want to be running
9.6R3 as it has a fix for a potentially serious scheduling bugs related
to large layer 2 configs.  It's been decided that this fix will NOT be
backported to 9.3.

Ross

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie