[j-nsp] J2320 as BGP router

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Feb 18 11:56:07 EST 2010

On Thursday 18 February 2010 11:41:33 pm Shane Short wrote:

> I think the BGP licensing for JunOS is quite ridiculous..
>
> I've been looking at upgrading our small network to some
>  J series routers and simply haven't, because as you
>  said-- the price of the license is almost as much as the
>  unit itself. what gives?

This is one of the reasons it's been easier to choose
Cisco's 7201 for route reflector purposes. This feature
comes stock in IOS, and we don't need to pay extra for it.
Besides, IOS, in its madness, occupies a much smaller memory
footprint on this 2GB DRAM unit.

Having said that, due to the way Juniper implement EoMPLS
l2vpn's (with a BGP control plane), having a J6350 is handy
in a largely-Juniper network.

Cheers,

Mark.