[j-nsp] EX series needs a special license for BGP?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Feb 19 13:18:58 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:10:12PM -0700, Tommy Perniciaro wrote:
> Yes - that's correct.
>
> Junos will complain about not having the license but BGP will still
> work, same deal on the J series not having the route reflector
> license, still works just complains :)

EX's BGP license is (last I checked) stil nagware which can be filtered
or ignored, though I'm sure that will change over time. J-series' BGP
route-reflector license on the other hand is now hard enforced (any
neighbors with clusters configured will not come up) as of at least a
year+ ago (somewhere in the 8.x's I think). The ironic part is J-series
is absolutely worthless as a route-reflector, it suffers *heavily* from
the slow route installation bug, and if you ask Juniper about it they
say J-series CPU is mostly locked towards forwarding packets rather than
processing BGP, and is not intended to be a BGP route reflector (and yet
they're still taking your money for the BGP RR licenses, go figure :P).