[j-nsp] Finally...

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Sat Feb 20 17:21:02 EST 2010

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 06:46:01PM +0100, Malte von dem Hagen wrote:
>> You're right, that suck0rz big time. In 2010, one isn't used to having
>> to wait for a download the time it takes to get a cup of coffee AND to
>> empty it (this even works for the litre-buckets some of my colleagues
>> use as mugs).
>>
>> I always wonder why of all companies network manufacturers have such
>> bad internet connectivity (C and B aren't much better than J...).
>> Maybe they need a good hosting ISP? I'd be glad to help ;-)
>
> Oh trust me vendor B/F is so much worse. Not only to they host their
> download server off a DSL line, but they limit the simultanious
> connections to 1 per IP. You can't even go browsing for other software
> or download the release notes while you wait for your first download to
> finish. And at least Juniper hasn't pulled a Cisco-style move and
> required javascript to download files.

There is no excuse for that in 2010 (or even 2000). If they don't have
the capacity or expertise to host sufficient download capacity in house
then they should contract that out to someone who does.

I wonder if they would require the download servers to be behind
some other vendor's routers/switches so they can serve the cricital
update that has their hardware falling over :)

-Kevin