[j-nsp] Juniper EX - Notification on STP topology change?

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Tue Jan 5 08:39:11 EST 2010

Hi Niels
> We sometimes have STP toplogy changes and I would like to have some kind of notification for this.
>
> I've already tried doing this with SNMP traps and syslog, but both options didnt work. It can be logged to a file via ethernet-switching-options trace-options; it shows up in the logs then like this:

SNMP Traps should work, however I just ran a quick test with JUNOS 10.0R1 and according to Wireshark, the EX is sending SNMP Trap OID:
1.3.6.1.2.1.17.0.2 instead of:
1.3.6.1.2.1.17.2 which is the correct topology change notification.

My config is just:

root# show snmp
community public {
    authorization read-only;
}
trap-group laptop {
    categories {
        chassis;
        link;
        remote-operations;
        routing;
        rmon-alarm;
        services;
    }
    targets {
        172.16.10.23;
    }
}

Can anyone else confirm this?  It's a bit late here and I may be losing it ; )