[j-nsp] Loop-free Alternate Paths for IS-IS Routes

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 09:51:13 EST 2010

It's new enough you probably won't find too many people with deployment experience outside of lab work.   It's something I looked at recently for OSPF and I think it's worth lab testing.   It's definitely easier to just turn on OSPF/IS-IS/LDP and forget it than maintain RSVP LSPs.

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/community/junos/live/091103/  is a presentation given by Juniper and may answer some of the questions you have.

There are topologies where it may not be able to find backup paths where MPLS FRR can, I think that's the biggest drawback.  There are ways to mitigate that concern with some static configuration, but you can't just turn it on and have it immediately replace RSVP.    Another potential large caveat is lack of SRLG information, if you have multiple WDM circuits riding the same fiber span.

Phil