[j-nsp] 802.3ad Question

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Thu Jan 14 00:04:19 EST 2010

The hashing algorithm Juniper uses is proprietary so there isn't much
useable information out that, but in my experience I've never seen anything
along the lines which would require a LAG to be comprised of multiples of 2
links to get an even load balance.  The load balancing tends to get a more
even distribution when you've got a large number of flows.  Assuming a large
number of flows, you should be able to get an even balance across the
component links within the 802.3ad LAG bundle.  You might also want to
consider enabling Layer 4 hashing to get even more granular distribution, if
the source and destinations are sparse, but you're using a large number of
source and destination ports.

HTHs.

Stefan Fouant, CISSP, JNCIE-M/T
www.shortestpathfirst.net