[j-nsp] L3VPN advertises the directly connected subnet - why?

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Tue Jan 26 11:37:51 EST 2010

It sounds like you are using vrf-export for policy. If so, it automatically advertises the direct subnet as soon as the CE next hop is learned via some other router exchange, say OSPF. If you use explicit vrf-export you will return to the default behavior and you will need to match on and accept the type of route you wish to readvertise.

If you have a broadcast vrf interface, and try to export only the direct, when you have learned no other CE routes you will find the route is not advertised with a label, causing it to be hidden at the remote end. This is because when routing to the direct vrf the PE actually pops the label and shunts to the CE, who then returns the pack if its actually addressed to the PE's end of the vrf. If we have not yet learned the CE next hop, there is no way to shunt, so the direct vrf is unlabeled.

HTHs