[j-nsp] M20 password recovery procedure

Larry Stites ncnet at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 28 15:36:46 EST 2010

M20 running Junos5.7 and we've attempted to follow
the password recovery procedure from single user but are getting disk
read errors when invoking /usr/libexec/ui/recovery-mode; the fsck to
repair these eventually fails.

The issue is that `/usr/libexec/ui/recovery-mode` needs to run fsck, the
fsck fails, and the CLI from which you can set the root password is never
invoked. We're attempting to unpack and edit the configuration files
directly because password data is not handled in the traditional UNIX way.
Ie., there is no `passwd` command or /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow

Please advise.

~.~

Best regards,

Larry E. Stites