[j-nsp] M20 password recovery procedure

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jan 28 16:39:29 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:36:46PM -0800, Larry Stites wrote:

> M20 running Junos5.7 and we've attempted to follow
> the password recovery procedure from single user but are getting disk
> read errors when invoking /usr/libexec/ui/recovery-mode; the fsck to
> repair these eventually fails.
>
> The issue is that `/usr/libexec/ui/recovery-mode` needs to run fsck, the
> fsck fails, and the CLI from which you can set the root password is never
> invoked. We're attempting to unpack and edit the configuration files
> directly because password data is not handled in the traditional UNIX way.
> Ie., there is no `passwd` command or /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow

vi /config/juniper.conf and remove the root-authentication line (or
replace with your own md5crypt from a unix system), then reboot, and the
password in all of the bsd components will be rebuilt from the junos
config. Of course if fsck really fails and you can't continue, you have
much bigger problems than the password. :)