[j-nsp] Manually installing JunOS on crashed HD (no CF available)

Felipe Zanchet Grazziotin felipe at starbyte.net
Thu Jul 8 13:53:03 EDT 2010

Jonas,

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Jonas Frey <jf at probe-networks.de> wrote:

> I guess you dont get any more console output since after that last line
> the system will send all output to VGA only. Before the output was
> handled by the bios and redirected to the com port.
> So (i guess) you have to make the freebsd installation to send all
> console output to the correct com-port...probably ttyd0.
> See:

thanks for your tips, but already had changed /boot/loader.conf to use
'comconsole', before that (vidconsole) I had nothing after Juniper's BIOS.
And ttyd0 was enabled too.

Using a PC, FreeBSD 4.4 boot messages after the one I got are:

"sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x100>
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A, console
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
ppc0: parallel port not found.
ad0: 28615MB <VBOX HARDDISK> [58140/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
acd0: DVD-ROM <VBOX CD-ROM> at ata0-slave using PIO4
acd1: DVD-ROM <VBOX CD-ROM> at ata1-master using PIO4
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
swapon: adding /dev/ad0s1b as swap device
Automatic boot in progress..."

Maybe it stuck trying to create virtual consoles on serial interface? I
really don't know.

As in Phill's idea, would be great if I had a spare M7i. Or even a spare RE.
Not my case here, unfortunately.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/console-server/freebsd.html

Anyway, will take a real read on those documents. Maybe there's some
important flag I'm ignoring.

> [ snip ]

Thankfully,
Felipe