[j-nsp] 1000 VRRP instances per IFD and IRB

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Fri Jul 9 00:23:45 EDT 2010

IFD.
> Not that I want to scale beyond Juniper's tested specs, but has anyone
> pushed on this?
>
> Anyone have any experience on many VRRP instances per IFD?  How many?
> We're planning on doing vrrp inheritance so only a single IFL is actually
> sending keepalives to keep that work to a minimum.
>
> Is there any way to get more IRB IFDs?  Per-interface limits aren't a
major
> problem for ethernet interfaces - this is a datacenter, we run a few more
> cables.  But it's crippling for virtual interfaces.  We'd love to toss
4000 or so
> customer VLANs into individual VPLS with IRB, but we can't justify the
cost of
> 4 pairs of MXes to get more IFDs for VRRP instances.

See if you can push your account team to discuss their Stratus convergence
strategy on the MX and their other data center products - their so-called
3-2-1 Data Center network architecture strategy.  You might be surprised to
find that you probably won't have to run VRRP in the very near future...

Stefan Fouant, CISSP, JNCIEx2
www.shortestpathfirst.net
GPG Key ID: 0xB5E3803D