[j-nsp] J series users bitten by the massive memory useincrease with flow mode add, please file jtac cases.

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Jul 22 04:44:39 EDT 2010

> > I thought that as soon as you turn MPLS on the flow mode was diabled
> > and you were back to good old packet mode?
>
> No, packets targeted at the device itself are still processed in flow
> mode.  According to the documentation, there is no way around that.
> It means that all existing TCP sessions involving the device are
> severed when rerouting event occurs because their flow implementation
> is interface-sensitive.

This and many other reasons means that we're not even considering
Juniper for the CPE role. We have some J series routers in the lab,
and they are staying at the last non flow based version of JunOS.

IMO Juniper has royally screwed up in the small router/CPE market.
One can hope that they won't perform similar stunts on the M/MX/T
series.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no