[j-nsp] J series users bitten by the massive memory useincrease with flow mode add, please file jtac cases.

Heath Jones hj1980 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 06:50:00 EDT 2010

Cheers for the insight Pavel - sounds like you have been on this one for a
while..
I'm just curious about the cash people actually have to spend on
routers/firewalls these days. All the providers (especially small/mid sized
ones) I have dealt with are trying to remain competitive in a really
challenging and changing market, they just cannot afford to worry about
changing their network infrastructure at the rate (or price) the vendor
wants. Juniper seems to me to be treating their products as if they are
almost consumables - like a mobile phone that you discard and replace every
year or 2. Networks cannot follow this commercial trend and still remain
reliable - maybe it's just my pessimistic side, but I think we are already
seeing too many outages, security flaws and other problems resulting
from cut corners on development and testing due to allocation of less
resources.

Theres a lot of top shelf gear that costs a fortune, theres a lot of low end
shit. Perhaps there is room in the middle for a reasonably priced product
that does the job well, without all the bells and whistles, but is actually
reliable.

As far as the forwarding information for flows, its probably a single chunk
of memory containing an array of structs. Each struct would represent an
individual flow and its state etc.
How hard really is it to add a config item to specify the number of flows in
that array? It will involve finding the statically set array length parts &
functions and changing them accordingly to use the value from the config or
default value if unset. Its a couple of hours work maximum. I dont think it
was a design feature at all as SE's claim. No engineer in their right mind
would force that much memory to a task that might not even be used.

Out of curiosity, how many people here are thinking of (or have changed to)
another vendor??