[j-nsp] J series users bitten by the massive memory use increase with flow mode add, please file jtac cases.

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Thu Jul 22 07:00:45 EDT 2010

On 22.07.2010 14:33, Alexandre Snarskii wrote:
>> we also bump into the requirements of cheap devices running everything
>> including L3VPN/VPLS for a few hundred megs. I would suggest to use
>> SRX240H in packet mode and don't even think about full BGP (they can't)
>>
> You can try the same trick as with ex-series (yes, it's quite possible
> to run full-view on ex-4200 series switch and some people do that in
> production networks). I never tried it at SRX (do not have one yet),
> so if you'll try it - I'd like to hear your experience.

Very advanced sort of design :) EX3200/4200 can only support 32k active
prefixes in FIB. Sure you can keep as many prefixes in RIB as Control
Plane capable to hold and only few prefixes in FIB but, I am sorry, what
for? What is the adventure of keeping that hell of routes in RIB if you
rely on something other for real switching? To feel cool issuing "show
route summary" which shows 600k routes instead of 6? :)

The problem with EX in ISP applications is very limited MPLS
capabilities. So if you want VPLS or L3VPN in some remote location, EX
will not save you although it has way higher forwarding performance.

--
Pavel