[j-nsp] J series users bitten by the massive memory useincrease with flow mode add, please file jtac cases.

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Jul 23 02:20:13 EDT 2010

On Thursday, July 22, 2010 04:44:39 pm sthaug at nethelp.no
wrote:

> This and many other reasons means that we're not even
> considering Juniper for the CPE role. We have some J
> series routers in the lab, and they are staying at the
> last non flow based version of JunOS.
>
> IMO Juniper has royally screwed up in the small
> router/CPE market.

Have to agree - we were considering the J-series as a
potential route reflector since JUNOS (AFAICT) is the only
piece of networking code, today, that supports the MCAST-VPN
BGP NLRI.

But given that non-ES JUNOS on this platform would leave you
without key features today, and that current code is all ES-
based, requiring flow mode in some parts, it means we can't
choose this box any longer (good thing we actually didn't
buy any yet).

That role would have to go to the M7i's. But since those
only run 1.5GB on the RE (effectively less as JUNOS, itself,
continues to grow), we can't let the router carry all AFI's.
That would be the job of another vendor's platform, while
JUNOS only handles MCAST-VPN.

Sad.

Mark.