[j-nsp] Inter provider LDP based L2VPN between a Juniper network and a Cisco network

Amos Rosenboim amos at oasis-tech.net
Wed Jul 28 16:10:12 EDT 2010

Hello All,

I'm trying to configure an inter provider LDP based L2VPN between a
Juniper network and a Cisco network.
The topology is roughly as follows:

Cisco PE-----Cisco P------Cisco P------Cisco ASBR------Juniper
ASBR-------Juniper P-------Juniper P-------Juniper PE.

In order to achieve this I need to establish the tunnel LSP between
the PEs in both networks and than establish the LDP signaled VC on top
of the tunnel LSP.
To establish the tunnel LSP the two ASBRs exchange IPv4+label (or
labeled unicast in Junos language ) routes between them and advertise
to each other the loopback IP of the PEs.
On the Cisco ASBR we simply redistribute the Juniper PE loopback into
the igp and thus the PE has both a route and a label to reach the
Juniper PE
However on the Juniper side I cannot do the same.
My question is what is the alternative method to achieve the same
result on the Juniper side?
The solution I can think of is to use labeled unicast routes over iBGP
between the Juniper ASBR and the Juniper PE but I'm not sure it will
work (the Juniper network is not under my control so I cannot test).
If this is the solution than should the Juniper P routers also get
this route or would the Juniper PE impose two labels for the address
of the Cisco PE (the label derived from BGP for the Cisco PE + the
label to reach the Juniper ASBR)

Thanks in advance.

Amos