[j-nsp] Inter provider LDP based L2VPN between a Juniper network and a Cisco network

Alexandre Snarskii snar at snar.spb.ru
Thu Jul 29 03:24:44 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:10:12PM +0300, Amos Rosenboim wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to configure an inter provider LDP based L2VPN between a
> Juniper network and a Cisco network.
> The topology is roughly as follows:
>
> Cisco PE-----Cisco P------Cisco P------Cisco ASBR------Juniper
> ASBR-------Juniper P-------Juniper P-------Juniper PE.
>
> In order to achieve this I need to establish the tunnel LSP between
> the PEs in both networks and than establish the LDP signaled VC on top
> of the tunnel LSP.
> To establish the tunnel LSP the two ASBRs exchange IPv4+label (or
> labeled unicast in Junos language ) routes between them and advertise
> to each other the loopback IP of the PEs.
> On the Cisco ASBR we simply redistribute the Juniper PE loopback into
> the igp and thus the PE has both a route and a label to reach the
> Juniper PE
> However on the Juniper side I cannot do the same.
> My question is what is the alternative method to achieve the same
> result on the Juniper side?
> The solution I can think of is to use labeled unicast routes over iBGP
> between the Juniper ASBR and the Juniper PE but I'm not sure it will
> work (the Juniper network is not under my control so I cannot test).

At my past work we did inter-AS l2circuits exactly that way - eBGP with
labeled-unicast between AS (one ASBR is Juniper, other is Cisco),
then iBGP with labeled-unicast inside.
Works fine.

One of reasons of not to redistribute eBGP into OSPF is a lots of
horror stories on what happens when you're entering
router ospf NNNN
 no redistrubute bgp route-map LOOPBACKS-TO-BE-REDISTRIBUTED
on Cisco routers.

> If this is the solution than should the Juniper P routers also get
> this route or would the Juniper PE impose two labels for the address
> of the Cisco PE (the label derived from BGP for the Cisco PE + the
> label to reach the Juniper ASBR)

IIRC, ingress PE will have to push three labels - internal label
to reach ASBR, then label to PE and then l2circuit label.