[j-nsp] e320 atm qos config sample for subscribers via Radius

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Wed Jun 9 20:39:38 EDT 2010

Hey there,

I think you really don't want to do any QoS mechanics at the PVC level and then L3 level. You really want to have one place where you queue or things get difficult quickly.

If you really needed to define CBR parameters for a circuit, then I would understand, but ATM shaping is really coarse and will not support looking into the types of traffic; nor can you set CLP bit, etc.

The ATM port supports three different modes. The default is called, "default integrated mode", and significant buffering in the SAR is performed. I don't trust this mode at all. The other modes are:

Low-latency mode and Low CDV mode.

Low latency mode makes the most sense if you are controlling all your QoS settings in the EFA (ie. in QoS profiles, not as ATM parameters).

The docs for configuring JUNOSe QoS profiles are actually well written and easy to follow; take a look at this:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junose11.0/information-products/topic-collections/qos-configuration/topic-16337.html

Take for example this snippet of a qos-profile:

Create and configure QoS profile qp1.
host1(config)#qos-profile qp-1
host1(config-qos-profile)#atm-vp node scheduler-profile sp1
host1(config-qos-profile)#atm-vc queue traffic-class tc1 scheduler-profile sp1 queue-profile qp1
host1(config-qos-profile)#atm-vc queue traffic-class tc2 scheduler-profile sp2 queue-profile qp2
host1(config-qos-profile)#atm-vc queue traffic-class tc3 scheduler-profile sp3 queue-profile qp3
host1(config-qos-profile)#atm-vc queue traffic-class tc4 scheduler-profile sp4 queue-profile qp4
host1(config-qos-profile)#atm-vc queue traffic-class tc5 scheduler-profile sp5 queue-profile qp5
host1(config-qos-profile)#exit

You can then pass the qos-profile "qp-1" as a RADIUS VSA as the subscriber connects. The VSA is: Juniper VSA Qos-Profile-Name [26-26]—QoS profile name. To ensure this attribute is being passed, please turn on debug logging for category radiusAttributes.

Truman