[j-nsp] P2MP LSP

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Jun 29 13:21:22 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 29 June 2010 11:43:49 pm David water wrote:

> How the ingress node knows about all the egress Node?
>  BGP?

Yes, the MCAST-VPN address family ('inet-mvpn' in JUNOS)
signals the MVPN BGP NLRI either between peers or between
peers and route reflectors that support this AFI.

> Now ingress node knows about the egress node then tunnel
>  will be singaled using the RSVP so there must be
>  interaction between BGP and RSVP right?
>  If so then what
>  kind of communication is it?

P-tunnels transport MVPN traffic across a p2mp LSP from
ingress to egress. The tunnel typically implemented by JUNOS
for the NG-MVPN infrastructure is MPLS, signaled by RSVP-TE.

The ingress/Sender PE router uses a new BGP attribute called
PSMI (Provider Multicast Service Interface) to disseminate
P-tunnel information to the egress/Receiver PE routers. The
Receiver PE routers then join the P-tunnels, and become
leaves of it.

I-PMSI P-tunnels (inclusive) forward MVPN data to all PE
routers in the RSI. S-PMSI P-tunnels (selective) can
restrict this to only a group of PE routers in the RSI. Both
options have their pros and cons, although inclusive tunnels
tend to be more common (I think).

On the control plane side, BGP is used to distribute
Multicast routing information across the backbone, in
effect, replacing PIM in the core.

>  Any good link or documents?
>  If any one has any good document to share that will be
>  great help, I am looking for control plane communication
>  between Egress nodes and Ingress node to establish P2MP
>  LSP.

These are great documents:

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/whitepapers/2000320-
en.pdf