[j-nsp] JUNOS and MX Trio cards

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Jun 30 04:30:09 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 06:50:49PM -0700, Derick Winkworth wrote:
> So basically, this stalled route issue has been going on for so long,
> that its truthful to say that Juniper probably doesn't think its
> important to fix?  or they don't care?

6 years by my count. The weird thing is I'm constantly running into
plenty of really smart competent people at Juniper who do want to help,
they just have no idea that things are really this broken, or they
aren't empowered to do anything about it. I guess you could call that
"they don't care" at a corporate level.

Oh and btw, they also broke subinterface counters in 10.2R1 too:

IF-MIB::ifDescr.539 = STRING: xe-1/0/1
IF-MIB::ifDescr.583 = STRING: xe-1/0/1.0

IF-MIB::ifHCInOctets.539 = Counter64: 3917358216
IF-MIB::ifHCInOctets.583 = Counter64: 0

IF-MIB::ifHCOutOctets.539 = Counter64: 20928565080777
IF-MIB::ifHCOutOctets.583 = Counter64: 8643351

The really scary part is I can name a lot of big networks who are
critically under-provisioned right now, because they've been holding off
on new DPC purchases for their MX's pending shipment of Trio cards. I
think Juniper is about to find themselves in a world of hurt when these
guys go to deploy the new cards and discover what a disaster modern
JUNOS has become. Seriously, how the hell do you manage to ship
production code that has broken subinterface counters? Does anyone in
systest actually do anything any more?