[j-nsp] P2MP LSP

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jun 30 04:33:41 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 03:18:34 am David water wrote:

> Using those route types we can communicate about the
>  source and destinations in MVPN.

Source information is learned by the Sender PE router. This
can either be through the VPN C-RP infrastructure or MSDP.

Receiver PE routers would then use this information to
generate Type 5 Source Active AD (Auto-discovery) routes.
These routes allow the Receiver PE routers to identify
active Multicast sources.

Ideally (I say ideally because we had some nasty bugs in our
case), this would then lead to the generation of Type 7
Source Tree Join routes on the Receiver PE routers, assuming
the router learns of C-join information, e.g., static IGMP
configuration, or has a Type 6 Shared Tree Join route and
receives a Type 5 route.

You can reference this entire process in the documents I
sent you earlier.

>  Now as we know how to
>  discover the source and receiver its time for RSVP to
>  take care of building the P2MP right?

It doesn't necessarily happen in this sequence.

P-tunnel setup, i.e., association of a p2mp LSP with the RSI
carrying MCAST-VPN NLRI would be part of your standard
configuration when implementing BGP/MPLS NG-MVPN's.

The PMSI attribute allows the P-tunnel to be announced in
the network via BGP. When the Receiver PE routers receive
this information, they bind the P-tunnel to the correct RSI
that imported it. Once the P-tunnel is bound to the right
RSI, the Receiver PE router can forward the Multicast
traffic into the local VRF, using MPLS.

Again, see those documents I sent. They get into very good
detail about the process.

>  So RSVP does use
>  the the BGP discovered information to establish LSP,
>  correct? So this way LSPs are totally dynamic.

Not quite - the p2mp LSP's are setup by hand. BGP is just
used to distribute control plane information about Multicast
routing data. Once the control plane provides sufficient
information, traffic is forwarded down the pre-setup p2mp
LSP's (MPLS data plane).

If you're looking at dynamic p2mp LSP setup, consider mLDP
(Multicast LDP). Like in regular LDP for unicast
applications, it's dynamic.

I don't have any solid details yet on Juniper's plans re:
mLDP, but I know Cisco are pushing this very heavily, along
with some other options to using BGP as a replacement for
PIM.

Good times ahead between Juniper and Cisco, in this space
:-).

Cheers,

Mark.