[j-nsp] Netscreen 5400 per-UDP-port bandwidth cap?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Mar 4 12:40:33 EST 2010

All,

I'm working with JTAC on this, but they're stumped so far and I thought
I'd throw it out here.

We have an NSRP pair of netscreen 5400s in a slightly complex configuration.

Each firewall has a single 10gig port with multiple sub-ints. Each
sub-int is bound to a zone and the netscreens route traffic between them
(and apply policy). Rather than using VSIs we configure downstream BGP
routing policy to split traffic between the firewalls very successfully.
Effectively, the NSRP serves only to sync up the address & policy configs.

We have recently discovered that UDP flows with any (src,port) to a
specific (dst,port) pair seem to be capped at the weirdly precise value
of 5.8Mbit/sec. See below for more info on the exact traffic pattern.

That is, if we have:

source1, sport 1234, dport 5000 - offers 10mbit/sec of UDP
source2, sport 5678, dport 5000 - offers 10mbit/sec of UDP

At the receiver, destination port 5000 receives 5.8mbit/sec total, split
approx 50/50 between the two senders i.e. ~3mbit/sec received
per-sender, ~70% loss per flow. Stopping one sender means the other gets
the full ~5.8Mbit/sec.

There are no apparently traffic limits using TCP or, weirdly, GRE (using
GRE p2p interfaces on source->dest). I'm using two linux boxes and iperf
to generate the test traffic:

iperf -i 1 -u -c dest -b 10M

...but the original report was for real UDP traffic.

Now, there are as far as I'm aware no rate-limiting, bandwidth, QoS or
other policies configured either on the firewall and definitely not on
the router it is attached to. JTAC have not spotted anything.

If I take a SPAN (port mirror) of the 10gig port on the router facing
the firewall, I see the following traffic pattern, correlating in/out
packets by IP IP# and source/dest MAC address:

0.00 - 0.59 seconds - packets flow normally (~725kbyte of data)
0.60 - 0.99 seconds - packets go into the netscreen but do not come back out
1.00 - 1.59 seconds - packets flow normally

...and so on.

It's frankly bizarre.

I have verified that this still occurs with "no-hw-sess" on the policy
after being advised to try this by JTAC.

ScreenOS version is 6.2.0r4.0, hardware is M2 management blades and 2XGE
10gig linecards.

The router attached to the firewall is a 6509/sup720 and I have
confidence it is not implicated in the loss.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Phil