[j-nsp] L2VPN/L2Circuit and Vlan transparent

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Mar 17 13:54:27 EDT 2010

> I have the following architecture :
>
> *Switch*(Extreme)----*M7i*( GE IQ PIC, 9.6R3.8)--------MPLS--------*M20* (GE
> IQ PIC, 8.5R1.13)-----*Switch*(EXtreme)
>

> Can I connect 2 sites (cisco switches ) each one to an Extreme with a trunk
> ports (many vlans on the ciscos ), and using a L2VPN/L2circuit , so that the
> entire path  between the 2 Extreme will be vlan transparent (It's like the
> QinQ   )?

Using l2vpn / l2circuit (Martini tunnel) in *port mode* on the Juniper
routers, you can have the circuit between the two Extreme switch ports
be completely transparent.

> Doses the Extreme switchs must support QinQ to achieve that ? or simply
> configure the ports toward the ciscos as access ?

The Extreme switches support QinQ, it is called "vman". It is not enough
to simply configure the ports towards the Cisco switches as access, you
need to explicitly create a vman. You may also want to define the vman
Ethertype (the default is *not* 0x8100).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no