[j-nsp] EX 8200 deployment

Felix Schueren felix.schueren at hosteurope.de
Tue Mar 23 06:30:25 EDT 2010

Tore Anderson wrote:
> * Richard A Steenbergen
>
>> Correct. I actually found some old gripes about this when I searched
>> j-nsp after noticing the problem, but it is a big enough issue that I
>> think it needs to be repeated again (and again and again, until it
>> gets fixed :P).
>
> I'll be happy to join the choir on this one.  I reported the problem
> back in March 2009, got PR 435648 opened, but haven't heard anything
> more since then.
>
> My workaround is to terminate the customer VLANs that needs counters
> for accounting purposes on the EX-es' upstream routers instead, which
> are MX-es with standard vlan-tagged family inet sub-interfaces.  That
> works well enough but it's not as tidy as I would have preferred.
>
> Best regards,
chiming in here - we need to do the same, and we also ended up
terminating L3 on our MXes when we'd really want to do it on the 8200s,
yet the stupid messed up RVI counters don't allow us to do so.

Oh, there's more, btw. You can't do

vlan members [ 2-2999 ]
on a trunk port if you don't use ALL of those vlans. It won't commit,
which means you have to use "vlan members all", which in turn messes up
your one-interface-RVIs (that you have to use because you need to trunk
some vlans on that port in addition to the family inet RVI)...

gah. Promising boxes, but they really messed up some points by looking
to closely at how vendors B & C are doing it. That being said, we do use
them in the data center, but they'd better get around fixing these things.

Kind regards,

Felix

--
Felix Schüren
Head of Network

Host Europe GmbH - http://www.hosteurope.de
Welserstraße 14 - 51149 Köln - Germany
Telefon: 0800 467 8387 - Fax: +49 180 5 66 3233 (*)
HRB 28495 Amtsgericht Köln - USt-IdNr.: DE187370678
Geschäftsführer:
Uwe Braun - Alex Collins - Mark Joseph - Patrick Pulvermüller

(*) 0,14 EUR/Min. aus dem dt. Festnetz; maximal 0,42 EUR/Min. aus
den dt. Mobilfunknetzen