[j-nsp] What's the latest code you're running on a mx?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sat May 1 13:31:44 EDT 2010

On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 12:32:08PM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 12:24:53AM +0800, Mark Tinka wrote:
> > > Until trio cards start getting deployed, there is pretty
> > >  much no reason why any sensible network would be running
> > >  10.x on an MX today.
> >
> > Or any platform, for that matter, I say.
>
> Well, I've had pretty good luck with 10.x on EX4200.  I'm only
> using Layer2 features though.

Don't try to compare code between platforms, they're entirely different
beasts. :) In my experience the answer for EX is almost always "run the
latest and greatest", and our deployment tests w/EX8216s and 10.1S1 have
actually been much better than I expected.

In the end it all comes down to which features are you using, and what
expectations do you have from your router. Layer 2 is dirt simple, hell
even Foundry managed to mostly get that one right, so I have no doubt
that if your configuration and network are simple enough you'll probably
never see an issue. Try running a full routing service provider config
with bgp isis mpls rsvp l2circuits firewalls etc and it's completely
different story. :)

On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 12:56:17PM -0400, Richmond, Jeff wrote:
> We have had pretty good luck so far with 9.5R4.3 on MX960s with DPCE-Rs.

9.5R4 is absolutely one of the best overall images for MX I've seen in
ages, i highly recommend it for people looking for general overall
stability. The problem is 9.5 went EOL a few days before 9.5R4 was even
released, and the bugs we did find in it (some very serious) Juniper
refused to fix in the 9.5 branch. It would have been nice if they'd made
9.5 an extended support release, but alas no such luck.