[j-nsp] What's the latest code you're running on a mx?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat May 1 14:57:07 EDT 2010

On Sunday 02 May 2010 01:31:44 am Richard A Steenbergen
wrote:

> Don't try to compare code between platforms, they're
>  entirely different beasts. :) In my experience the
>  answer for EX is almost always "run the latest and
>  greatest", and our deployment tests w/EX8216s and 10.1S1
>  have actually been much better than I expected.
>
> In the end it all comes down to which features are you
>  using, and what expectations do you have from your
>  router. Layer 2 is dirt simple, hell even Foundry
>  managed to mostly get that one right, so I have no doubt
>  that if your configuration and network are simple enough
>  you'll probably never see an issue. Try running a full
>  routing service provider config with bgp isis mpls rsvp
>  l2circuits firewalls etc and it's completely different
>  story. :)

I probably should have stated that "any platform" was
confined to the latter case you describe, service provider
routing and friends.

We've had luck running code on core and edge switches in
pure Layer 2 mode that have brought other networks to tears
when Layer 3 services are turned on. Code stability
requirements between either paradigm is sufficiently
distinguishable, most times :-).

Even though the platforms have some key differences, I'd be
just as cautious running JUNOS 10.x on the M320, T640, M10i,
e.t.c., as much as I would on the MX. But I guess this goes
without saying for many :-).

Cheers,

Mark.