[j-nsp] SRX vs. SSG

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Mon May 10 03:25:57 EDT 2010

Hi,

Mainly I agree that ScreenOS is more predictable and less buggy than JUNOS
Voyager. Although I remember the times of 5.1-5.3 when loads of new features
were added and we ran into issues each new release. Specially when ISG had
just been released.

But from the features point of view, I really see SRX is at least not worse
even though some drawbacks exist like stateful processing for IPv6 or some
things we already mentioned. It is well compensated with things ScreenOS has
not ever had.

In my experience, JUNOS cli itself gives lots of benefits for
high-performance environments. Though for ScreenOS people it can be hard to
believe this, what they are used to do with a single command now requires
five :)  I myself have been using all sorts of NetScreen/SSG/ISG since 2003,
and think it's one of the best products ever. Specially the old Netscreen
line. I even have a 5gt at home :) But unfortunately it is the previous
epoch. So I would recommend to buy them only if you really know why you are
doing so.

Moreover SRX3/5k is quite a different story. ScreenOS products anyway can
not compete against them.

Sorry, I didn't mean to kindle a holy war :) Just my opinion. Well, maybe
not too humble.

 I have an SSG320, 2x ISG1000s and 4x SRX3400s.

[…]

> The routing
> performance of the SRX, ie, taking a full route table via BGP, is
> horrendous.

Interesting. Did you try to load full BGP into SRX3k? Could you please shere
the experience. Any issues or something?

--
Regards,
Pavel