[j-nsp] SRX vs. SSG

Scott T. Cameron routehero at gmail.com
Mon May 10 08:13:22 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 3:25 AM, Pavel Lunin <plunin at senetsy.ru> wrote:

> Moreover SRX3/5k is quite a different story. ScreenOS products anyway can
> not compete against them.

Are you speaking from experience?  Because my old ISG1000 firewalls are
superior than my SRX3400 firewalls.  Not only do they support IPv6 in
"route" mode, they support it in flow-based packet filtering mode.  The
SRX3400s do not support IPv6 at all.

ISG1000s on ScreenOS, on the other hand, support IPv6 no problem.

> Sorry, I didn't mean to kindle a holy war :) Just my opinion. Well, maybe
> not too humble.
>
>  I have an SSG320, 2x ISG1000s and 4x SRX3400s.
>>

> […]
>

>> The routing
>> performance of the SRX, ie, taking a full route table via BGP, is
>> horrendous.
>>

> Interesting. Did you try to load full BGP into SRX3k? Could you please
> shere the experience. Any issues or something?

Yes, that is precisely the problem.  2x SRX3400s in chassis cluster mode,
receiving full route table from 2 providers, it takes approximately 5
minutes for the route process to finish injecting routes in to the kernel
routing table.

The overall process of a chassis cluster failover, when BGP is enabled, is
extremely slow.  We're talking minutes of downtime.  Chassis cluster
failover when upstream is configured via static route is < 10 seconds.  It's
still slower than the ScreenOS failover.

 Scott