[j-nsp] MX240

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue May 11 00:38:41 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 11 May 2010 11:21:59 am Keith wrote:

> It pretty much will be used just for our main gateway
>  router. We are having a hard time deciding if it fits
>  for us. We have to get 2 ASR's to get some redundency,
>  while the MX has it all in one chassis. Has more ports
>  too.

Well, this is an important note - if you need peering
routers, and two for redundancy, is your offer from Juniper
and Cisco considering two boxes each, or just one?

It's fairly reasonable to take two smaller boxes for
redundancy than have one, even though the single box
provides hardware redundancy. I'd prefer 2x ASR1002 over 1x
ASR1004, for example.

Richard's suggestion to consider the MX80 is a good idea,
especially if you're looking at having two for redundancy.
My main concern is JUNOS 10.x, especially since you're
somewhat new to Juniper. But if you can hang in there, the
code will improve with time. The MX80 is definitely great
for peering... it's a role we're considering for it here,
since it's too pricey to stick in the metro :-).

Cheers,

Mark.