[j-nsp] IBGP in RR

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun May 16 10:21:56 EDT 2010

On Sunday 16 May 2010 09:26:34 pm Humair Ali wrote:

> Then depending on what is behind the RR client end and
>  how the design is planned, I would use Local pref set
>  for servers behind RR Client POP 1  for inbound traffic
>  set up respectively accross the POP , so that if traffic
>  comes in from POP 3 and destination is the server behind
>  RR client in POP 1 , then the RR full iBGP mesh will
>  forward traffic from POP 3 to RR in POP 1 and then to
>  clients and to server.
>
> So that best path is always closest physical RR clients.

Not sure what you mean, but if I think you're suggesting
what you are, we tend not to have our route reflectors in
the forwarding path, as they're generally software routers
(lots of cheap DRAM, which is what you need more of on a
route reflector).

The route reflectors simply transfer NLRI to all PE routers.
IGP (or IGP + MPLS) does the actual forwarding of traffic.
But this is in our case. Different strokes... different
folks.

Of course, it's always logical to place route reflectors at
the centre of each PoP, which would normally be forwarding
routers. But we try to not to.

Cheers,

Mark.