[j-nsp] Default OSPF Equal Cost Behaviour - EX Switches

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Fri May 21 04:06:21 EDT 2010

Hi Paul,

l also have two cases open with similar questions.

First it is nowhere written which fields are taken on EX to calculate the
hash for per flow. JTAC seems to not know though sent me very detailed
explanation of how per-flow balancing is done for LAGs. Seems like ECMP uses
the same fields, but nobody from Juniper is able to pronounce this out loud.

The second is about traffic from Control Plane is not forwarded properly
when per-flow ECMP is enabled. Transit traffic goes well but when I try to
ping from the switch itself, only half (towards one of the NH) of or even no
packets leave the outgoing interfaces. It is known that for LAGs traffic
originated from control plane is not balanced and goes through the first
link in a bundle. Seems like someone forget to do the same here. JTAC also
goes unconscious and says they are not sure the packets really don't leave
the switch because the two next hops, I used to test this, have same lo0
addresses (what a horror!). Did not tested 10.1R2 for this yet.

--
Regards,
Pavel